FAQs on Misc. Service FAQs on Misc. Service

FAQs on Misc. Service

S. no. Question Proposed Answer
1.  What are the various Miscellaneous Services  offered by Consulate through VFS ?  All Miscellaneous Services except Police Clearance Certificate in respect of Indian Nationals are directly rendered by Consulate to Applicants. 
2. What are the various Miscellaneous Services are offered by Consulate ?

•        Attestation of will,

•        Attestation of Documents,

•        Attestation of Power of Attorney,

•        Affidavit for Child’s Passport to be issued in India,

•        Marriage Certificate, Solemnization/Registration of Marriage, Life Certificate,

•        Birth Certificate/or Non availability of Birth Certificate,

•        Police Clearance Certificate for foreign Nationals,

•        NRI Certificate,

•        NORI (no obligation ot return to India) I, NORI III,

•        Statement of Need certificates for Medical Doctors, 

•        Attestation of Death Documents for property matters in India, Attestation Death Documents for Transportation of Ashes/Mortal Remains to India,

•        Registration of Birth

3. Does one need to make an appointment before coming to Consulate for submitting  Miscellaneous Service application?

There is no need to take an appointment but it is helpful if applicant come with online Miscellaneous form filled and printed.

 Applicants may visit the Consulate on any working days from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM

4.  What are the timing for submitting documents for attestation?

 Applicants may visit the Consulate on any working days from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM


5. How can one apply for Miscellaneous Service ?

Please visit our website:

Apply online, download the submitted application, print & sign it. Attached all required documents, paste the photograph and submit this physical copy of application to the Consulate.


6. What is the processing time for Miscellaneous services?

One day, for the application submitted in Person/over the counter.

7. Documents  valid as a proof of address/residence?

Any one of the following

US Driving License or

Utility Bill or

Lease Agreement or

State Identity Card or

Mortgage Deed

8. Can one pay required fees in cash? Required fee may be paid through Cashier’s Cheque/ Money Order/ Demand Draft drawn in favor of "Consulate General of the Republic of India in Seattle, WA". 
9. Can one pay required fees by Personal Cheques, Credit Cards, Debit Cards Or Other Banking Instruments? No, Payment by personal cheques, Credit Cards, Debit Cards Or Other Banking Instruments are not accepted.
10. Can one get  Documents/Power of attorney apostilled at Consulate

No.  Document are apostilled by with Secretary of State of respective State i.e. if a person lives in Seattle state, he may visit the link for apostille.

Consulate only attest the documents.

11. What is Apostille document ?

Apostille Convention (the Hague Convention), to which India and USA are signatories, abolishes the requirement of legalization for Foreign Public Documents.

With the certification by the Hague Convention 'Apostille', the document is entitled to recognition in India and vice versa and no certification by the Consulate of India is required. The Convention applies to public documents which have been executed in the territory of one Contracting State and which have to be produced in the territory of another Contracting State.

12. Is it mandatory or desirable to attest Apostille documents with Consulate?

There is no need to attest the apostilled documents by the Consulate before presenting it to authorities in India.

Apostilled or Attested documents both are equally valid.

13. Can one apostille the documents issued by Indian Authority in USA ?

If any document issued by authorities in India (such as birth and death certificates, affidavits, educational documents/diplomas, marriage certificate and Driving License etc.) is required to be presented to authorities in USA, these should be apostilled in India.

For details, please check the website “Legalization of Documents” at However, for the ease of Indian nationals, Consulate/Consulates does “True Copy Attestation Only” of the documents issued by authorities in India. This does not mean certifying the genuineness of the document.

14. Can death documents be attested by Consulate for transportation of ashes/mortal remains to India?

Yes.  Required documents are

A. Original

•    Passport of deceased + 1 Photocopy

•    Original passport of the relative OR friend of deceased + 1 Photocopy.

•    Original Death Certificate + 1 Photocopy

•    Original Embalming Certificate + 1 Photocopy

•    Original Non-communicable disease certificate form Health Department + 1 Photocopy

•    Original Transit Permit + 1 Photocopy

•    Copy of address proof of the deceased OR relative

Note : Applicant is requested to contact concerned funeral home for above mentioned documents.

15. Can one get Life Certificate from consulate?  Yes. See details at this link
16. How can one get Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from Consulate ? What is the processing time ?

Foreign passport holders can get the PCC on same day if they apply in person at Consulate.  Indian passport holder are requested to visit for PCC. 


17. Does Consulate attest WILL of a deceased person? No.  Physical presence of executor of WILL  is required at Consulate to attest any WILL.
18. Can one get notary done for my documents at Consulate ? No.  Applicant may contact their bank/registered notary or local attorney. 
19. Can an asylee, get  documents attested by Consulate? Yes.  However valid passport is required
20. Is self addressed pre-paid envelop mandatory for application through Mail/Post Mode ? Yes.  Without self-address pre-paid envelop,  application wont be processed .
21. If one can send the documents by Post for attestation ? Yes.
22. How can I get the Life Certificate for property and what is the charges?

No, We can provide the life certificate for property purpose. The fee for the certificate is $27.

more details can be seen on:


23. Are Miscellaneous services provided on B1/B2 US visa status? Yes. In case of B1/ B2 US visa status applicant, needs to produce valid I94 to avail the miscellaneous services.